Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Chapter 31



Jordan awoke with a start. It was still dark out and she heard her father stomping around shooting angry whispers through the house. Stacey roused and both girls looked at one another, fear playing on their faces.
Jordan slipped out of her room only to meet her father stomping up the steps in her direction.
     “Jordan, have you seen my keys?” her father demanded.
     “Uh- why would I have your keys, dad? I don’t drive your car.”
     “Don’t get snippy with me! Help me find them. I decided to leave early and now I’m glad I did.”
     Jordan made a half-hearted attempt to look around for them, while her father’s rising fury made her face flush in heated despair. Stacey stayed safely hidden in Jordan’s room.
“Dad, I’m sorry but-“ she was interrupted when her mother emerged from the garage.
“Here, honey, take the extra set. I have a set for my car here too. I just can’t understand what could have happened to them.”
Jordan stood dumbfounded. Extra sets? Her plan hadn’t worked. She was going to need Teresa after all. Jordan feared she couldn’t keep the guilt from showing on her face, so she raced up the stairs as her parents kissed goodbye.
As she entered her room she heard the garage door close and she collapsed onto the bed in tears.
     “Jordan, we haven’t lost yet,” Stacey whispered, smoothing Jordan’s hair. “What time is your mother’s hair appointment?”
     In answer Jordan’s mother tapped on the door and opened it. Jordan jumped up, making busy in the corner of her room, hoping to avoid eye contact.
     “I’m not sure what is going on,” her mother said, “but I plan to find out once I get home. My appointment is at 8:30 and I’ll be back within a couple hours. Be here when I get home.”
     Stacey offered the best smile she could; she was pretty sure it came out as more of a grimace. Jordan mumbled a reply and her mother softly closed the door.
“If her appointment is at 8:30, then we have to be ready to stall her. I mean if this happens by 9 AM then it has to occur before her appointment right?”
Jordan sat on the bed and began twisting her hair in thought. All she could say was, “I’m so grounded when this is all over.”

No comments:

Post a Comment